Pass system at household waste recycling sites

Residents in the East Riding are being reminded that passes will be needed to gain entry to any of the area’s household waste recycling sites from Friday, 1 October.

The passes have been introduced by East Riding of Yorkshire Council (ERYC) to make the system fairer – to make sure the sites are only being used by East Riding residents.

Residents living in the East Riding will have already received their free passes. Thousands were posted out in July and August, together with new bin collection calendars, along with instructions on how to use them. They can be used to gain entry to any of the council’s 10 household waste recycling sites. It is hoped the new scheme should also help to reduce the queues building up at some sites. Other councils, including neighbouring Hull City Council, already use a similar system.

“We are bringing these passes in to make sure East Riding residents are getting full use of the waste and recycling facilities available to them.

“Residents in the East Riding do a fantastic job with their recycling, which is there for everyone to see when the recycling league tables are released each year.

“I would encourage all residents to keep hold of their passes and prepare for the change coming from 1 October.”

Councillor Chris Matthews, ERYC portfolio holder for environment and climate change

From October, if a pass is not displayed in a vehicle, a site attendant will query whether that person lives in the East Riding. Alternatively, a valid driving licence, utility bill, council tax bill or bank statement showing the person’s address can be used to prove that person lives at an East Riding address. Non-East Riding residents will be turned away. 

The council won’t replace any passes through loss or damage. If a resident misplaces their pass they can use the alternatives instead. All passes will be renewed just before the expiry date of December 2022.

The resident’s pass only allows access for residents in a car. Anyone wishing to take a van or trailer over 6ft x 4ft on-site, will still need to apply for tip permits.

For more information please visit

Resident passes circular

2 replies »

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.