Site icon HU12 Online

Funding appeal by South Holderness Cricket Club. The historic club needs your help!

The South Holderness Cricket Club has suffered from the impacts of Coronavirus and the restrictions on the sport. It now seeks financial support via its Go Fund Me page to continue playing cricket competitively and to ensure that its younger players are supported.

THERE HAS BEEN A CRICKET TEAM representing Hedon and playing competitively from a town base for over 170 years. Our Blog cricket correspondent Malc Ripley reported for us on the seasons 2013 and 2014 played by South Holderness Cricket Club. He discovered that a local team was established in 1849. But the current South Holderness Cricket Club was named as such in 1882.

South Holderness Cricket Club has been providing local cricket opportunities since 1882 but has recently been hit badly by the impact of Covid.

To assist us to continue playing at the highest level we can, whilst also ensuring the development of our local youngsters is maintained, the club is appealing for help to reach our funding target of £3500.

All funds raised will support our ongoing projects to provide much-needed equipment and facility improvements.

Support the GoFundMe appeal. Maintain the rich history of playing cricket in Hedon.

Hedon and Holderness Cricket Club was founded in 1849. It played its friendly games in a rough field on the eastern side of Thorn Road (owned by a Mr Tomlinson). In that period at least a couple of dozen players were available regularly. The side became relatively well-known, particularly when they defeated the Hull Kingston team in 1851. The club changed its name in this period to Hedon Wellington C.C. This was probably in tribute to the famous Duke who died in 1851.

Hedon Wellington CC was still going strong in 1857, bolstered by the appointment of their first professional player, WF Copson. He apparently demonstrated great ability and activity in the field, being nicknamed the ‘Indian Rubber Man’. The ball rarely got past him in the outfield. John Mould, a useful bowler from Hull CC threw in his lot with the Hedon outfit. They were then joined by a Mr Parker, who was an Oxford Blue. The trio contributed quite a measure of success to their team in 1861. The club apparently folded in the late 1860s.

The actual details of the present cricket club’s actual formation is not known. But the name change to South Holderness Cricket Club certainly took place in 1882. The SHCC title really came about because Hedon was unable to supply enough players to field their two teams. They were forced to look further afield in Holderness to raise their teams playing strength.

Malc Ripley, October 2013.

Exit mobile version