A Walk through Hedon’s History

Armour in Hedon Town Hall

Medieval Weapons: Hedon Town Hall

A SPECIAL “Walk through Hedon’s History” is being held on Sunday 18th October 2015 which will highlight some of the fascinating local history of the ancient borough; the characters, the places, the facts, stories and legends associated with the place.

The walk will start at 2.00pm and last approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.

The walk tickets need to be booked in advance and will cost £3 for adults, and £1 for under 16’s (under 5’s free).

Tickets are available from the Town Hall on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 9am and 12 noon. 

Note: Unfortunately, places on the walk are limited to 25, so tickets are only available on a first come, first served basis.

The ‘Walk through Hedon’s History’ is organised by the Hedon Town Council’s events working group.

Kilnsea Cross:
Kilnsea Cross cuOne of the places likely to be on the history-walk route is the Kilnsea Cross. The cross is believed to have been erected at the now lost-to-the-sea village of Ravenser near Spurn to mark the landing there of Henry Bolingbroke and the start of his military campaign which led to him being crowned King Henry IV in 1399.

The cross was moved to Kilnsea to escape rising waters c. 1500, but was threatened once again by the sea and dismantled and removed to Burton Constable Hall in 1818. It lay there in pieces until the Hedon Town Clerk, James Iveson asked for it to be taken to the town to become the centre-piece for a new public square. The cross was erected in 1827, but the public scheme never materialised and the cross was eventually built around and incorporated into the gardens of Holyrood House on Baxtergate.

Steph Bean Tony Proudfoot and Kelly Thomas

Owner of Holyrood House (now a residential care home) Tony Proudfoot with care workers Steph Bean and Kelly Thomas photographed during HedFest in August. The Kilnsea Cross is in the background.

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.