Public Notice

Holiday accommodation – TV Licensing reminder to Hedon folk


AS THOUSANDS of people from Hedon and district flock to their favourite UK holiday hotspots over the summer break, TV Licensing is reminding people to check they are correctly licensed.

With the school holidays and local industry holiday shutdowns in place, owners of static caravans are being prompted to remember that they might require a valid TV licence for their holiday accommodation.

Owners of static vans or mobile homes need a licence for the caravan if a TV is being used to receive or record programmes in the caravan and at their main home address at the same time.

Matt Thompson, spokesperson for TV Licensing said it was important people from Hedon understood the licensing requirements if they planned to watch TV in their holiday homes.

“Being caught watching TV without a licence could put a real dampener on your holidays – we want people to ensure that they stay on the right side of the law,” he said. “It’s quick and easy to check the requirements online.”

“The law says that anyone who owns a static caravan or mobile home, and watches or records TV here, is not covered by their home licence if TV is simultaneously being viewed by someone else in their main residence. In this case, a separate licence is needed to cover the holiday accommodation.”

No licence is needed for a touring caravan so long as a valid TV Licence is held for the main home address. A TV Licence can be bought in minutes online and costs £145.50 for the year. There are many ways to pay including weekly, monthly and quarterly payments.

Mr Thompson added that anyone who owned a holiday home which was a permanent structure, such as a cottage or flat or bungalow, also needed to be aware they must be covered by a valid TV licence for their second home.

Carole Metcalfe, marketing director of the Static Caravan Club, said: “Taking a minute to check the requirements before you head off could be time well spent. It’s very important that people understand the law and make sure they’re covered if they need to be. If people aren’t sure about the requirements, a quick call to TV Licensing will help ensure they stay on the right side of the law.”

If you’re unsure about your licensing requirement, contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6112 or visit the website page below.

Visit: TV Licensing – Second homes

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it’s being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

A licence covers you to watch TV as it’s broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you’re at home or out and about.

It currently costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.