Hedon

Holderness and Hedon Cricket – the early years!

EARLY HOLDERNESS AND HEDON  CRICKET:
(BY MALC RIPLEY)

Hedon Sports Cricket Club001-001

This photo ‘Hedon Sports Cricket Club’ was taken in the 1920’s – much later than the clubs recounted here – can you provide any information on it? Click image for more.

FURTHER in-depth delving regarding any cricket played within the Hedon district in the 1800’s has revealed that in 1849, a cricket team was actually established in the July of that year, based in Hedon.

A team entitled Hedon and Holderness C C played their friendly games in a rough field owned by a Mr Tomlinson, being on the eastern side of Thorn Road. In that period, at least a couple of dozen players were available regularly, the side becoming relatively well-known, particularly when they defeated the well fancied Hull Kingston team during 1851.

This surprise set back apparently upset the visitors such that they went to the Kings Head for their suppers, soon leaving early for home, whist their victors celebrated their great win at the nearby Queens Head, the celebrations going into the small hours!

Rivalry was certainly in evidence here!

A couple of years on, the Club then changed its name to Hedon Wellington CC, but it is not recorded why the ‘Wellington’ addition? Possibly, a team member was a historian, or alternatively, he got the boot from someone locally!?

Eventually, the team went to play against what was then, Hull Town CC 1st eleven. This challenge took place in Hedon, following a late change of venue, in September 1860. The visitors were forced to field a somewhat scratch side, but somehow then called themselves Hull Zingari, as they became mainly a ‘touring’ team from 1845 onwards, having to look elsewhere for a ground, as their ‘Hull’ home was in doubt.

As many will now say – “The rest is History”.

Around that same period, other teams sprang up, to mention just five — Burton Constable, Withernsea, Keyingham, to be followed by Patrington and Aldbrough. Most of these sides played occasional games, as their jobs allowed.

Only the go-ahead, and popular village Club presently, namely Patrington CC, with their three teams, and attractive ground still survive. Certainly – hard workers currently!

Moving onwards, Hedon Wellington CC were still going strong in 1857, as they were bolstered by the occasional appointment of their first professional player, a W F Copson. He apparently demonstrated a great ability and activity in the field, being nicknamed the ‘Indian Rubber Man’ . The ball rarely got past him in the outfield, it was said. John Mould, a useful bowler from Hull CC threw in his lot with the Hedon outfit, alongside Copson, they were then joined by a Mr Parker, who was an Oxford Blue. The trio contributed quite a measure of success to their team in the 1861 pleasant summer.

As the established Club gradually improved their playing skills, they travelled out to Driffield a year later, this fixture being seen as a severe test for the Woldsmen, much keen interest being shown by the local population, for the challenge match. There was even an admission charge as being 3d for the gentlemen spectators, but the fairer sex were admitted free of charge! The outcome of the game has sadly not been recorded, suffice to say that a Driffield batsman, a Mr Botterill scored a handsome 22, before he fell brilliantly caught in the deep by a Mr A. Iveson. Iveson then went on to clean up the rest of the home side’s batting with his underarm bowling, it is recorded!

As the years progressed, the strength of the Hedon Wellington CC diminished, players left for pastures new, or to work away, to leave the first real ‘Hedon’ based Club to finally fold in the late 1860’s. Another of the reasons being, that their ground in Magdalen Lane, was also lost, as it was to be used for agriculture, obviously the lack of players also signalled the end of the road.

No actual details of the present South Holderness Cricket Club formation is known, but suffice to say, it’s a fact that the Hedon club certainly changed its name to South Holderness CC in 1882. The SHCC title really came about as the ancient borough of Hedon was unable to supply enough players to field their two teams, therefore that meant they were forced to look further afield in Holderness to raise their teams playing strength!

In addition , but over many years, this has even expanded to include cricketers, as far apart as west Hull, these additions still help to keep the Club ticking over at Middle Lane!

Photo: Provided with thanks by Malc Ripley

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.