Hedon

Fire Service advice following Hedon barbecue fire

fire engine cuFIREFIGHTERS are warning residents to be extra vigilant when using charcoal barbecues following a serious fire over the bank holiday weekend.

A Crews were called to Dann Court, off Cromwell Road in Hedon on Bank Holiday Monday, 27th May 2013, when embers from a barbecue had ignited a garden shed, which quickly spread to neighbouring gardens. The fire totally destroyed the fencing, sheds and decking to four neighbouring properties; guttering and windows were also damaged.

Phil Leake, Community Safety Manager at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Fortunately no one was injured in the fire but it caused extensive damage. This really does highlight the importance of taking care when barbecuing. Embers can retain heat for some time.

“The owner of the property used the barbecue the night before and emptied the embers into a plastic bag the following morning. The embers were still warm and began to smoulder setting fire to the garden shed.”

The fire brigade attended the incident at 1:20pm showing how long the embers must have been smouldering during the morning!

“I urge residents to ensure the embers are fully out when they have finished barbecuing by pouring water over them and only empty them into a steel container as plastic can be flammable when coming into contact with heat,” Phil Leake said.

Other safety advice is to ensure barbecues are set up away from wooden fencing and sheds and some distance from buildings. Always use recognised fire lighters for charcoal barbecue and for gas, make sure the barbecue is in good condition before use.

Barbecue Avice: “Pour cold water on the embers once finished”

Visit: www.humbersidefire.gov.uk

 

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.