TOWN NEWS: – Horsewell Pond – Weddings – Community Notice Board – Allotments – Christmas Reindeer
The following summary from Jim Lindop is an overview from Hedon Town Council meetings in October. They are based on discussions from the meeting and should not be taken as any official record. They are provided here for resident’s information and interest.
- Seventeen members of BP Rugby Union Football Club, Hedon’s Mayor and Mayoress and a representative from Yorkshire Wildlife Trust attended Horsewell Pond down Ivy Lane last Sunday morning, in order to dig weeds out from around and within the pond, work continued for about 15 minutes until a very small Great Crested Newt was uncovered, then due to European Legislation, all work immediately stopped as you cannot disturbed the habitat. Yorkshire Wildlife Trust will now discuss a way forward with Natural England in collaboration with Hedon and East Yorkshire Councils. The legislation stops any work happening within approximately 500 metres of the pond, however if we don’t get water into the pond, it will dry up resulting in no place for the wildlife to exist. Catch 22!!?
- Vivergo Fuels have kindly offer to cover the cost for Reindeer and their helpers to attend the Christmas Lights switch on event on 30th November, arrangements are ongoing.
- The Council is considering allowing the Town Hall to become a Wedding venue; two contractors are currently vying for the contract to refurbish the toilets shared between the Town Hall and Alexandra Hall, which the council believes should be completed before the licence is applied for.
- The council is looking at the provision of allotments near the cemetery and at present are discussing this with English Heritage and the Environment Agency. Plans are progressing to ascertain the size and number of plots for the site.
- The council has received an offer of a gift to take over the ownership of Elsie Gate field down Ivy Lane. Legal questions are progressing.
- The size and design of a new Community Notice Board is being pursued to be positioned on the Neb, which is the where the Christmas Tree is positioned in Market Place, this is to display community events within Hedon.
- The Council is reviewing cemetery rules and regulations; a new lectern is to be bought and also an evacuation chair for disables access/egress. The Council is to ask for quotes to replace an old electrical fuse board within the Town Hall.
- A survey which looked at Headstones within the Cemetery has been completed; also work will be carried out next to the South Transept at St Augustines Church due to a high level of soil which has built up over the years causing damp to internal walls.
Residents are advised that if they have any concerns that they want to discuss or place before the Council, they should contact one of the councillors or the Town Clerk at the Town Hall.