Tackling potholes – make sure they are reported!

Potholes on Hull Road, Hedon in January 2011

THE BIG FREEZE has resulted in a major problem on our roads as potholes open up. The photos above were taken yesterday along a small stretch of Hull Road and shows the general state of the road.

The East Riding Council has announced that it has increased its number of work teams tackling road repairs (see article on HU12). However, the fear is that the problem is so vast – and Council resources so stretched – that some roads will not be repaired for months if at all!

The problem of unreported potholes also remains: If the East Riding Council does not know about a problem in the first place, then it will not go on any priority list to be repaired.

Therefore if you spot a pothole or a road repair that needs undertaking then please report it! As a rough guideline the council has indicated that a pothole will be considered dangerous if it is more than 40mm (over 1.5 inch) deep on a main road.

You can report potholes or surface damage to roads on Fix My Street or directly to the East Riding Council via its ‘Road and footpath maintenance enquiry/service request form’ at http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/roads-streets-transport/roads-footpaths/ or it can be reported to the council’s streetscene team on telephone 0845 6001666 or by email to: highways.customer.care@eastriding.gov.uk

Leave a comment. You need to leave your FULL NAME.